Living Water (Part 1 - John 4:1-26)
Living Water (Part 1)
True, authentic worship causes us to forget why we came
because we found something greater than we ever imagined!
What 2 Watch 4: The transition of Jesus’ message and how He reveals truth. The transition of the Samaritan Woman.
Observations & Interpretations
1. Jesus had a divine appointment. (4)
- Goes hand in hand with v. 23
- He “had to” go through Samaria
- Interpretation: God seeks our worship
- He makes it a priority
- God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him
- Jesus spoke first (7)
2. Jews don’t talk to Samaritans (9)
- Men don’t talk to women
- Jewish men NEVER talk to Samaritan women, but Jesus did
- Interpretation: Worship crosses barriers
3. Jesus reveals her sin without criticism or embarrassment (16-18)
- He made things personal really quick
- She never lied, but she didn’t come clean either
- By Jesus knowing her sin, she realized he was important
- Interesting that she mentions “worship” first
- Interpretation: We must address sin before we worship
4. Jesus reveals her heart
- You worship what you don’t know
- Interpretation: Worship is personal
5. Jesus reveals God’s heart
- God desires authentic worship
- Interpretation: Worship in spirit and truth
- What do we know? God. Sin. Jesus. Forgiveness. Freedom.
- More on spirit next week.
6. Jesus reveals Himself
- The climax. The musical release. Everything was building to this.
- “I am” - Messiah reference. He doesn’t do this quite often.
- “You’re looking at him.”
- Interpretation: Worship requires the life & sacrifice of Jesus
- Before sin, this wasn’t the case, but because of sin it is necessary
- This is the NEW covenant. The NEW time He refers to earlier.
Story of my son, Caden, and his golf club
1. Stop. Listen. Look. God is seeking you to worship him.
2. Identify and remove your personal barriers. Until you do, your worship won’t be authentic.
3. Violently repent from sin. Don’t be critical of yourself or embarrass yourself. Be honest and truthful about your sin.
4. Get to know God better through studying the Bible, praying, meditating, singing, being discipled.
5. When God reveals truth, respond.
6. Accept the gift of living water.
It’s not about who you are. It’s not about what you’ve done. It’s not about where you are. It’s not about how you do it. It’s not about how it HAS been.
True worship is about God, for God, because of God, initiated by God, and in the presence of God.